So what is an Open Door Retreat?
- A way of following a retreat in every day life, over a period of 9 weeks
- Sharing in this prayer journey with a small group, that meets weekly
- Sessions that are led by 2 trained leaders, who also follow the retreat programme themselves.
- Praying with material that has been tried and tested over 20 years. Open Door
Retreats were devised by the Cenacle sisters, and are based on the Spiritual
Exercises of St. Ignatius.
- A chance to listen and be listened to; to share experiences with people from other churches as the groups are often ecumenical.
- Retreatants commit themselves to a minimum of 15 minutes prayer daily, and to
sharing what they choose to with members of the group.
What people have said about doing an Open Door Retreat:
‘It was really a springboard into where I am now – a key time in getting me back on track.’
‘It has been a profound experience for me. No matter what your background is, you are accepted unconditionally…. There is a strong sense of belonging, as the members of the group support and uphold each other in prayer, both in the sessions and in the period in between.’
‘I have really been able to be myself in this group.’
Sounds interesting… How do I set about finding one?
- You could initiate one in your area or parish and ask Bristol Spirituality Network to
find 2 co-leaders for you. You need up to 10 people who can commit themselves to
9 weekly meetings.
- You could contact us and ask if we know of one being planned in the Bristol area.
From time to time the Network arranges one. Others are set up on request.
- Have a look at our Open Door Retreat leaflet.